State Senator Del Marsh (R) will serve as the Honorary Starter and wave the green flag to start competition for this Sunday’s Alabama 500 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (MENCS) at Talladega Superspeedway.
Marsh, the current President Pro Tempore of Alabama, is serving his fifth term since officially taking oath in 1998. A graduate of Auburn University, Marsh has held a variety of roles within the Senate. He represents Senate District 12, which encompasses Calhoun Country, and portions of Talladega and Clay counties. Marsh was first elected Senate President Pro Tempore for the 2011-2014 Quadrennium and again for the 2015-2018 Quadrennium. Marsh also serves as the Presiding Officer of the Alabama Senate.
“We are thrilled to welcome Senator Marsh as the Honorary Starter and have him wave the green flag for the start of the Alabama 500,” said Chairman of Talladega Superspeedway Grant Lynch. “The support and work that he does for citizens of Calhoun, Talladega and Clay counties is second to none and we are proud to recognize him at NASCAR’s Most Competitive track for this special event.”
The Alabama 500 will mark the second race in the Round of 12 of NASCAR’s Playoffs as well as the final start at the 2.66-mile venue for six-time Talladega winner Dale Earnhardt Jr., so Marsh will help start what will prove to be a historical race in all of motorsports.
Over the past 19 years, Marsh has held several different roles in the senate, including time spent as the Chairman of the Fiscal Responsibility & Accounting committees. In addition to his political duties, Marsh has been successful in business and is a past owner of Industrial Planting Company and Aerospace Catalogs. Additionally, he has served as the Director of Colonial Bank in nearby Anniston, Al and Southern States Bank.
Marsh, a native of Wheeling, West Virginia, and his wife Ginger, have two children.
For a full weekend schedule, please click here.
- 100,000 More Reasons to Win at Talladega: Quartet to Vie for NASCAR Xfinity Series Dash 4 Cash $100,000 Bonus
- YellaWood® Brand Pressure Treated Pine to be Title Sponsor of Fall NASCAR Cup Series Playoff Race at Talladega
- NASCAR RACING SET TO RETURN TO TALLADEGA SUPERSPEEDWAY JUNE 20-21 WITH TRIPLEHEADER WEEKEND
- Noah Gragson “Crashes” Virtual Games Hosted by The Exceptional Foundation with Help from Talladega Superspeedway
- NASCAR announces revised May schedule as racing returns beginning at Darlington Raceway