In celebration of Talladega Superspeedway’s 50th anniversary this weekend, the track is thrilled to bring back the first Miss Talladega 500 as well as many of the historic race cars that are a part of the Talladega lure.
Lana Osborn, who greeted driver Richard Brickhouse in the winner’s circle on Sept. 14, 1969, after is triumph in the inaugural Talladega 500 for NASCAR’s premier series, will once again be in Gatorade Victory Lane this Sunday with the victor of the 1000Bulbs.com 500. In addition, the track is bringing back a tradition that dates back to that first event – the beautiful, white and blue horseshoe-shaped, winner’s wreath like Brickhouse sported that iconic day – that will be worn by this fall’s winner.
A host of vintage race cars will also be a part of Sunday’s festivities. Four of the winged cars that competed at the 2.66-mile track in the first race in 1969, along with both events in 1970, will be on hand and participate in the pre-race, sponsor parade lap that gets underway at 11:15 p.m. CDT. There will be three Dodge Daytonas, including:
- No. 71 of Bobby Isaac, who sat on the pole for the first three events here
- No. 22 of the elder member of the famed "Alabama Gang", Bobby Allison
- No. 42 of country music legend and driver Marty Robbins
- No. 43 Plymouth Superbird of Richard Petty
The bold vehicles are a part of the "Aero Warrior Reunion," which will feature nearly 200 street version winged cars that will be on display in the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series Garage area on Sunday. Fans with a Talladega Garage Experience admission will get to see the beauties up-close on Sunday.
Also on display in the Talladega Garage Experience will be a host of historic machines that include:
- 1969 Donnie Allison Ford Torino No. 27
- 1969 David Pearson Ford Torino No. 17
- 1970 Buddy Baker Dodge Daytona No. 99
- 1971 Richard Petty Plymouth Roadrunner No. 43
- 1972 Bobby Allison Chevrolet Malibu No. 12
- 1987 Bill Elliott Ford Thunderbird No. 9
- 1990 Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet Lumina No. 3
- 1996 Dale Jarrett Ford Thunderbird No. 88
In addition, the Alabama Racing Pioneers are scheduled to have a trio of classic cars within the Talladega Garage Experience.
Fans with a Talladega Garage Experience admission will also get to enjoy the 35,000 square foot BIG BILL’S open air social club, that will also house the top 22 teams in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series title standings and fans will get the chance to get up close and personal with the cars and teams via a fan walk way in the garage bay areas.
Other family/fan friendly items in the Garage Experience include incredible $4 or less Value-Priced Concessions, FREE Wi-Fi, BIG BILL’S Open Air Club, a Kids Zone, a Game Zone, Clyde May’s Courtyard, an entertainment stage for local music, Driver Q&A’s and other interviews, and a reserved area for Gatorade Victory Lane celebrations after each race in Fr8Auctions Celebration Plaza. Fans with an admission will also get to witness Sunday pre-race ceremonies and Driver Introductions at the Start-Finish line.
The NASCAR Playoffs weekend kicks off Friday with practice runs all day, followed by Saturday’s Sugarlands Shine 250 for the NASCAR Gandour Outdoors Series at 12:30 p.m. CDT. Foodland/Food Giant Qualifying for the 1000Bulbs.com 500 begins that afternoon (3:35 p.m. CDT). Once the sun goes down, the traditional Saturday Night Infield Concert presented by McDonald’s gets started with headliner and Alabama native Riley Green. Festivities are scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. CDT and admission is FREE to all infield guests and anyone who purchases a ticket to the 1000Bulbs.com 500. The 1000Bulbs.com 500 is set to get the green flag on Sunday at 1 p.m. CDT.
To purchase tickets or for more information, visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or call 855-518-RACE (7223). Fans can learn more about the entire Transformation Infield Project presented by Graybar by visiting www.talladegasuperspeedway.com/transformation.
- End of an Era! Talladega Superspeedway’s Grant Lynch Retires This Week
- Spread Holiday Cheer with TSS’s 2-Day Package Offers during Black Friday/Cyber Monday!
- Construction of TSS's Transformation Project Home for Many Alabama-Based Companies
- NASCAR Racing Experience at Talladega this Weekend for Final Time in 2019
- Throwback in Modern World, Ryan Blaney Wins Thrilling 1000Bulbs.com 500