After the checkered flag falls on today’s GEICO 500 at Talladega Superspeedway and fans begin to make their journey back home, the flurry of activity at the world’s greatest and biggest race track will continue as construction efforts will go into high gear for the Talladega Garage Experience, which will be the culmination of Transformation – The Talladega Superspeedway Infield Project presented by Graybar in October.
Set to open during the track’s fall doubleheader NASCAR Playoff weekend featuring the 1000Bulbs.com 500 for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series and Sugarlands Shine 250 for the Gander Outdoors Truck Series, the Talladega Garage Experience will allow fans to be immersed into the sport of NASCAR like never before (including access under the same roof where the race cars are being prepped by the race teams) and will feature "up-close" access, interactive attractions and enhanced amenities for fans, sponsors, teams and stakeholders in the iconic Talladega infield.
On Monday (April 29) at 10:30 a.m. CDT, Phase II of the project begins with four-time Talladega winner and the leader of the famed "Alabama Gang," Bobby Allison, on hand to begin the mass demolition – assisting to tear down the current Gatorade Victory Lane - of the current garage/pit area that stretches from the center of the tri-oval all the way down near the start-finish line. Post GEICO 500 race weekend will consist of many buildings being demolished, including the old-time scoring stand, which has stood for many years, as well as the current NASCAR Xfinity Series garage, the Sunoco fuel station, the Paddock Club, and part of the media center.
The approximately $50 million Transformation Infield Project presented by Graybar is part of International Speedway Corporation’s (Talladega’s parent company) long-term capital allocation plan and reinvestment into its major motorsports complexes.
"We will begin immediately after the conclusion of the GEICO 500," said track chairman Grant Lynch of equipment that will be put in place to start construction. "It will be a full summer of various tearing down and building efforts, and we will be ready for the fans when they come back in the fall. While our current infielders will have their same camping spots, we will be adding more camping opportunities, as well. We are going to have something that all fans are going to love whether they are five years old or 75. And, for those who have never been here, come see us in the fall. I guarantee you will love it."
Phase II features the following:
- New interactive Talladega Garage Experience (TGE): Grandstand and infield ticket holders, who purchase a TGE pass, will have close access via a fan viewing walkway to the teams, cars and inspection stations during race preparation in the new Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Garage
- New, modern Open Air Club (covered) with close-up viewing of the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Garage
- New Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Garage (44 stalls)
- Wi-Fi in all areas of Talladega Garage Experience
- Exclusive Social and engagement areas with concessions/souvenirs/restrooms facilities, Guest Services Center and First Aid facility
- New opportunities for driver/personality appearances and entertainment programming
- New Pit Road Club to enhance the experience for fans and corporate guests
- New Gatorade Victory Lane with fan up-close view in TGE
- Merchandise, Food & Beverage stands
- New tram route to deliver fans to the TGE
- New Garage Suites with view into Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series garages
- Expanded, Premium RV Camping along the Alabama Gang Superstretch with Power & Water hookups (more than 200)New NASCAR Race Operations building and Broadcast booths high above Tri-Oval
- New infield road infrastructure, premium parking & utilities
- Renovation of Drivers Meeting area & Expansion/upgrades to media center
DLR Group is the architect of the entire project while Hoar Construction from Birmingham will spearhead Phase II. GT Grandstands (Plant City, FL) will construct the new Pit Road Club and the Race Operations. In addition Sunday, the track announced that Superior Essex, a global leader in the design, manufacture and supply of wire and cable products, has joined a part of the track’s "We Transformed" partners.
This weekend, fans have enjoyed Phase I of Transformation, which included the opening of the new Turn 3 Oversized Vehicle Tunnel that allows fans to enter the track 24/7 during race weekend. Friday, driver Brad Keselowski helped cut the ribbon on the all-new Finish Line Premium RV area with full hookups.
Fans can learn more about the project by visiting www.talladegasuperspeedway.com/transformation. For ticket information on the track’s NASCAR doubleheader Playoff weekend, and all things on Transformation and the Talladega Garage Experience, log onto www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or call 855-518-7223 (RACE).
- Talladega Superspeedway & Sugarlands Shine Expand Partnership
- Lock in the Best Hotel Deals with DegaRooms.com for TSS's NASCAR Playoffs Weekend
- Playoff Field Set for Gander Truck Series; All Eyes on TSS's Sugarlands Shine 250
- Limited Reserved Infield RV Spots Remain for TSS's NASCAR Playoffs Weekend, Oct. 11-13
- Concrete Reality! Final Pour for Open Air Social Club in the Talladega Garage Experience