Talladega Superspeedway Site of ARCA Test Monday By Martinsville Speedway President Clay Campbell, Others
TALLADEGA, AL – Clay Campbell, President of Martinsville Speedway, was on the track Monday but it wasn’t the one he oversees - and it wasn’t in a street car.
He was actually behind the wheel of Ken Schrader Racing’s No. 52 ARCA Series Chevrolet on the biggest and baddest race track on the planet – Talladega Superspeedway – getting a full day of practice for Talladega’s upcoming ARCA race during the May 2-4 Aaron’s Dream Weekend.
“I absolutely love this place,” said Campbell, who plans to run both Talladega as well as the season-opening ARCA event at Daytona in February. “I love to go fast and there is no faster track in the world than Talladega. I ran here two years ago and someone asked if I got it out of my system. The answer is ‘no’ and I am ready to go it again. It is just fun.”
It’s ironic that Campbell, who turns 54 in February, loves racing on NASCAR’s biggest track while Martinsville is NASCAR’s smallest track. He will make his third start at Talladega after having finishes of 26th (2012) and 28th (2013). He as had one other ARCA career start, at Daytona last year. His best laps Monday were just under 180 mph. The No. 52 car will run the full 2014 ARCA schedule with Ken Schrader and Matt Tifft in the remaining events.
“I think with Ken’s equipment we have a really good opportunity to run well here at Talladega,” said Campbell. “It makes me feel good for Ken to have confidence in me to put me behind the wheel of his car. We are looking forward to coming back in May.”
Campbell was joined Monday at TSS by Tyler Reddick and Tom Hessert of Cunningham Motorsports as well as Mason Mitchell. Reddick plans to make his first Talladega start in May.
NASCAR returns to Talladega Superspeedway in 2014 with the Aaron’s Dream Weekend, which is set for May 2-4. The NASCAR Nationwide Series will take to the track on Saturday, May 3 while NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series machines take the green flag on Sunday, May 4. For ticket information, log onto www.talladegasuperspeedway.com.
- Joey Logano Wins CampingWorld.com 500 for His Third Straight NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Victory
- Eric Church, Blake Shelton, Toby Keith, Kid Rock, Hank Williams, Jr., Billy Currington, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Lee Brice, Martina McBride, Gary Allan, Tyler Farr and Many More at First-Ever Dega Jam Music Festival at Talladega Superspeedway, July 1-3, 2016
- Late Pass Propels Peters to Second Straight NASCAR Camping World Truck Series fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola Win at Talladega
- Jeff Gordon Captures Pole Position for CampingWorld.com 500, His Final Race at Talladega Superspeedway
- Championship Hopes Loom This Weekend at Talladega’s CampingWorld.com 500 & fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola