Talladega Superspeedway Site of ARCA Test Monday By Martinsville Speedway President Clay Campbell, Others
TALLADEGA, AL – Clay Campbell, President of Martinsville Speedway, was on the track Monday but it wasn’t the one he oversees - and it wasn’t in a street car.
He was actually behind the wheel of Ken Schrader Racing’s No. 52 ARCA Series Chevrolet on the biggest and baddest race track on the planet – Talladega Superspeedway – getting a full day of practice for Talladega’s upcoming ARCA race during the May 2-4 Aaron’s Dream Weekend.
“I absolutely love this place,” said Campbell, who plans to run both Talladega as well as the season-opening ARCA event at Daytona in February. “I love to go fast and there is no faster track in the world than Talladega. I ran here two years ago and someone asked if I got it out of my system. The answer is ‘no’ and I am ready to go it again. It is just fun.”
It’s ironic that Campbell, who turns 54 in February, loves racing on NASCAR’s biggest track while Martinsville is NASCAR’s smallest track. He will make his third start at Talladega after having finishes of 26th (2012) and 28th (2013). He as had one other ARCA career start, at Daytona last year. His best laps Monday were just under 180 mph. The No. 52 car will run the full 2014 ARCA schedule with Ken Schrader and Matt Tifft in the remaining events.
“I think with Ken’s equipment we have a really good opportunity to run well here at Talladega,” said Campbell. “It makes me feel good for Ken to have confidence in me to put me behind the wheel of his car. We are looking forward to coming back in May.”
Campbell was joined Monday at TSS by Tyler Reddick and Tom Hessert of Cunningham Motorsports as well as Mason Mitchell. Reddick plans to make his first Talladega start in May.
NASCAR returns to Talladega Superspeedway in 2014 with the Aaron’s Dream Weekend, which is set for May 2-4. The NASCAR Nationwide Series will take to the track on Saturday, May 3 while NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series machines take the green flag on Sunday, May 4. For ticket information, log onto www.talladegasuperspeedway.com.
- Talladega Superspeedway Honors its Latest Winner With “Two for $88” Dale Jr. Ticket Package for Alabama 500
- Talladega Superspeedway Nominated for USA TODAY 10Best Readers’ Choice “Best NASCAR Track”
- Talladega Superspeedway’s Exciting GEICO 500 & Winn-Dixie 300 Weekend to Be Seen Through Lenses of 100,000 Cameras
- Fan-Favorite Dale Earnhardt Jr. Wins GEICO 500 For First Talladega Superspeedway Victory in 11 Years
- Logano Emerges From Pack on Final Lap to Win Wild Winn-Dixie 300 NASCAR XFINITY Series Race at Talladega Superspeedway