Johnny Sauter Takes the Checkered Flag in Dramatic fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola
TALLADEGA, AL – Johnny Sauter drove to victory in Saturday’s action-filled fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Talladega Superspeedway.
The dramatic race - complete with a record-breaking 29 lead changes - finished with a last-lap incident in the trioval that involved 12 competitors. As a result, Sauter took the checkered flag but many of the drivers who finished second on back crossed the finish line spinning. Second through fifth - David Starr, Ross Chastain, defending race champ Parker Kligerman and Dakoda Armstrong - were all part of the accident but were able to maneuver across the finish line.
Other notables in the final lap mishap included Polk’s Meat Pole Award Winner Jeb Burton and Kyle Busch, who had won two previous Camping World Truck Series races at the 2.66-mile, 33-degree high-banked venue, along with championship points leader Matt Crafton, who actually increased his margin over Ty Dillon to 57 points.
The win marked Sauter’s second superspeedway victory of the season, his first being the series opener in Daytona.
“This is awesome,” said Sauter, who drives the No. 98 ThorSport Racing Toyota. “I had a pretty good idea what was going to happen (at the end). Everybody was fighting for the same real estate. I’ve always wanted to win at the race track and to be able to do it today was big.”
“It’s great racing” added Starr. “The fans love it. I love it as a driver. You saw a great race today.”
Thirteen drivers climbed atop the leader board throughout the day. There were seven cautions for 29 laps. The average speed was 122.819 mph.
Sunday - with the weather forecast calling for sunny skies and a high of 70 degrees - will see the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series take to the most competitive racetrack on the planet for the Camping World RV Sales 500 - the sixth race in the Chase for the Championship.
Tickets for the Camping World RV Sales 500 (2 p.m. EST start) and are still available. To get your tickets, call 1-877-GO2-DEGA, go on line to www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or visit ticket venues on the grounds of the speedway.
- Center Stage(s)! Talladega Superspeedway Yet Again in Spotlight of NASCAR as Track Announces Stage Lengths as Part of New 2017 Format Enhancement
- Talladega Superspeedway is Excited to Name Jake Carlisle as New Director of Ticketing
- Talladega Superspeedway Part of International Speedway Corporation’s (ISC) New Multiyear, Multi-Track Digital Media Partnership with Ingenuity Sun Media (ISM)
- The Charlie Daniels Band Set for Talladega Superspeedway’s Traditional Saturday Night Infield Concert, May 6
- Cars Have Officially Hit the Track at Talladega Superspeedway in Anticipation of the Exciting 2017 Season