The “Wild Card” Grows Wilder With Tight Points Battle In Chase For NASCAR Sprint Cup
The wild card in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, Talladega Superspeedway, is bound to be even more nerve-wracking for Chase drivers with only 109 points separating the top-nine drivers and fewer than 60 points separating the top-five. At the track where anything can happen, and often does, a 100 point lead can vanish with one ill-fated bump.
Kurt Busch, currently in sixth and 70 points out of the lead, understands the importance of a solid finish at NASCAR’s Most Competitive Track.
“Talladega can make or break your season,” says Busch. “It's part of the game. It's a wild card. If you find yourself out of a hundred points after Talladega, it's tough to make it up in those final three weeks.”
Fortunately for Busch, he can take comfort in the knowledge that he brings with him the record for best average finish among Chasers at Talladega, 12.8, well ahead of point leader Jimmie Johnson’s average finish of 17.8
Jamie McMurray, a non-Chase driver, shocked the crowd by winning the 2009 AMP Energy Juice 500. Can another upset be in the making? Don’t miss the wild card in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup. NASCAR action kicks off with the Mountain Dew 250 fueled by Fred’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race, Oct. 30 and continues with Race Number Seven in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, the AMP Energy Juice 500, Oct. 31. To experience it all, call 1-877-Go2-DEGA or visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com.
- Joey Logano Wins CampingWorld.com 500 for His Third Straight NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Victory
- Eric Church, Blake Shelton, Toby Keith, Kid Rock, Hank Williams, Jr., Billy Currington, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Lee Brice, Martina McBride, Gary Allan, Tyler Farr and Many More at First-Ever Dega Jam Music Festival at Talladega Superspeedway, July 1-3, 2016
- Late Pass Propels Peters to Second Straight NASCAR Camping World Truck Series fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola Win at Talladega
- Jeff Gordon Captures Pole Position for CampingWorld.com 500, His Final Race at Talladega Superspeedway
- Championship Hopes Loom This Weekend at Talladega’s CampingWorld.com 500 & fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola