The “Wild Card” Grows Wilder With Tight Points Battle In Chase For NASCAR Sprint Cup
The wild card in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, Talladega Superspeedway, is bound to be even more nerve-wracking for Chase drivers with only 109 points separating the top-nine drivers and fewer than 60 points separating the top-five. At the track where anything can happen, and often does, a 100 point lead can vanish with one ill-fated bump.
Kurt Busch, currently in sixth and 70 points out of the lead, understands the importance of a solid finish at NASCAR’s Most Competitive Track.
“Talladega can make or break your season,” says Busch. “It's part of the game. It's a wild card. If you find yourself out of a hundred points after Talladega, it's tough to make it up in those final three weeks.”
Fortunately for Busch, he can take comfort in the knowledge that he brings with him the record for best average finish among Chasers at Talladega, 12.8, well ahead of point leader Jimmie Johnson’s average finish of 17.8
Jamie McMurray, a non-Chase driver, shocked the crowd by winning the 2009 AMP Energy Juice 500. Can another upset be in the making? Don’t miss the wild card in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup. NASCAR action kicks off with the Mountain Dew 250 fueled by Fred’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race, Oct. 30 and continues with Race Number Seven in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, the AMP Energy Juice 500, Oct. 31. To experience it all, call 1-877-Go2-DEGA or visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com.
- Unmatched Access? Talladega Superspeedway’s Unrestricted VIP Package Delivers for Alabama 500/fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola Double Elimination Weekend, Oct. 21-23
- Jerrod Niemann to Be Featured Artist for Talladega Superspeedway’s Traditional Saturday Night Infield Concert, Oct. 22
- Defending Alabama 500 Champ Joey Logano, Michael Annett Join Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Carl Edwards & Brian Scott for Pre-Race Fan Q&A Session at Talladega Superspeedway, Oct. 23
- ‘Chase University’ College Student Program Set for Talladega Superspeedway Sunday, Oct. 23
- NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Chase Field Set; Anticipation is High for Talladega Superspeedway's fred's 250 Powered by Coca-Cola, Oct. 22