Competitive Daytona 500 Is Good News For ‘Dega Fans
NASCAR’s recent rule changes at Talladega Superspeedway and Daytona International Speedway paid dividends during the Daytona 500. A combination of larger restrictor plates, less policing on bump-drafting and aerodynamic changes to car led to a 40% increase in green flag passes in the Great American Race. That’s a good sign for race fans when the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series rolls to Talladega Superspeedway for the April 23-25 Aaron’s Dream Weekend.
“No one was more excited about NASCAR’s competition changes than me and my staff at Talladega Superspeedway,” said President Rick Humphrey. “To see the changes make such a profound impact on the racing at Daytona makes me confident that the Aaron’s 499 will be one of the most spectacular races of the year. Talladega consistently produces the most competitive races of the year and all signs point to this being a potential record breaking race. Race fans need to be here for the Aaron’s Dream Weekend April 23-25.”
Comparatively speaking, the 2009 Aaron’s 499 featured 11,290 green flag passes, nearly 2,000 more than the Daytona 500’s recent 9,450. A similar 40% increase in competition at Talladega would boost the number of green flag passes close to the 16,000 mark. That equates to more than 85 passes a lap.
The Daytona 500 also set a race record with 21 different leaders. The 2009 Aaron’s 499 featured 25 different leaders, three shy of the NASCAR record of 28, set by Talladega in 2008. The race record of leaders for the Aaron’s 499 is 26 different leaders.
The April 23 -25 Aaron’s Dream Weekend begins a new era at Talladega Superspeedway with new rules, new seats and new lower ticket prices. For more information on tickets to Talladega Superspeedway, please visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or call 1-877-Go2-DEGA. For our hearing impaired guests, please call TDD 1-866-ISC-TRAK (1-866-472-8725). Tickets also are available in person by visiting the Talladega Superspeedway Ticket Office from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. CDT, Monday- Friday.
- Drive a Little, Save a Lot with Hotel Rooms Booked Through DEGARooms.com for Talladega Superspeedway Events, Oct. 23-25
- NASCAR Sprint Cup Drivers to Meet Young Race Fans at Talladega Superspeedway Saturday, Oct. 24
- The Biggest Meatball In Racing On The Menu Again At Talladega Superspeedway
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. First Driver Named for Talladega Superspeedway’s Pre-Race Question & Answer Session Sunday, Oct. 25
- TALLADEGA SUPERSPEEDWAY’S “UNRESTRICTED” VIP PACKAGE OFFERS UNMATCHED ACCESS FOR WEEKEND FEATURING FINAL RACE OF CONTENDER ROUND FOR CHASE FOR THE NASCAR SPRINT CUP