University of Alabama vs. University of Texas Has Trackside Implications
A friendly wager between Talladega Superspeedway President Rick Humphrey and Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage hinges on the outcome of the BCS Championship Game between the University of Alabama Crimson Tide and the University of Texas Longhorns. Up for grabs? A weekend’s worth of bragging rights as the winning track’s flag flies over the loser’s track and a tasty meal for the victorious track. (Talladega is supplying Dreamland Ribs in the unlikely event of a Longhorns victory, while Texas is offering a shipment of Sonny Bryan’s Smokehouse beef brisket).
“I look forward to seeing photos of the Talladega Superspeedway flag flying over Texas Motor Speedway after the Tide rolls over the Longhorns,” said Humphrey. “I may even have to call Eddie on Friday morning and play the ‘Bama fight song for him as he hoists our flag wearing an Alabama shirt and hat. Our staff is looking forward to dining on some delicious Texas beef for lunch next week while we revel in another national championship for the University of Alabama. This has all the makings of a very good week.”
“I’m always up for a good bet,” Gossage said. “I think Rick will look great in burnt orange and the Texas Motor Speedway flag will look great flying over Talladega Superspeedway. As his former boss, I think he owes me a good meal and those Dreamland ribs will be perfect.”
Talladega and Crimson Tide fans alike may remember the “care package” that Humphrey sent to Richmond International Raceway President Doug Fritz earlier in the year when the Tide faced off against the Virginia Tech Hokies (the package included several rolls of toilet paper and boxes of Tide laundry detergent).
Talladega Superspeedway is preparing for the 2010 Aaron’s Dream Weekend featuring qualifying for the NASCAR Nationwide Series, followed by the ARCA Racing Series 250 race on Friday, April 23. On Saturday, April 24, fans will see qualifying for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, followed by the Aaron’s 312 NASCAR Nationwide Series race. On Sunday, April 25, the greatest drivers in the world face off in the Aaron’s 499 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race.
For more information on tickets to Talladega Superspeedway, please visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or call 1-877-Go2-DEGA. For our hearing impaired guests, please call TDD 1-866-ISC-TRAK (1-866-472-8725). Tickets also are available in person by visiting the Talladega Superspeedway Ticket Office from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. CDT, Monday- Friday.
- Joey Logano Wins CampingWorld.com 500 for His Third Straight NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Victory
- Eric Church, Blake Shelton, Toby Keith, Kid Rock, Hank Williams, Jr., Billy Currington, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Lee Brice, Martina McBride, Gary Allan, Tyler Farr and Many More at First-Ever Dega Jam Music Festival at Talladega Superspeedway, July 1-3, 2016
- Late Pass Propels Peters to Second Straight NASCAR Camping World Truck Series fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola Win at Talladega
- Jeff Gordon Captures Pole Position for CampingWorld.com 500, His Final Race at Talladega Superspeedway
- Championship Hopes Loom This Weekend at Talladega’s CampingWorld.com 500 & fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola