Bake A Christmas 2009 Raises $13,700 For Area Children
Talladega Superspeedway officials joined the staff of WTDR Thunder 92.7 FM to raise $13,700 during the thirteenth annual Bake A Christmas fundraiser Friday, Dec. 11. That number is expected to increase slightly as donations and last minute purchases continue to trickle into the station. The money raised will be used to provide Christmas gifts to less fortunate children throughout the track’s surrounding region.
Members of the Talladega Superspeedway and Thunder 92.7 staff encouraged listeners and race fans to bid on one-of-a-kind race packages on-air, while donations of baked goods, racing memorabilia and other items such as gift certificates from local merchants, flowed in throughout the day.
“The listener and fan support during this year’s Bake A Christmas was truly amazing,” said Talladega Superspeedway President Rick Humphrey. “Everyone stepped up with donations and purchases to make this a very successful year. It’s extremely rewarding to be involved with an event that is having such a positive impact on so many lives.”
This year’s top selling items were a checkered flag autographed by every driver that competed in the 2009 AMP Energy 500 at Talladega Superspeedway and a day at Talladega Superspeedway with Jim Jacobs and Rufus T. Raspberry of WTDR 92.7. Those items combined with ticket packages to the 2010 Aaron’s Dream Weekend fetched over $2,200.
Talladega Superspeedway is already gearing up for the 2010 Aaron’s Dream Weekend featuring qualifying for the NASCAR Nationwide Series, followed by the ARCA Racing Series 250 race on Friday, April 23. On Saturday, April 24, fans will see qualifying for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, followed by the Aaron’s 312 NASCAR Nationwide Series race. On Sunday, April 25, the greatest drivers in the world face off in the Aaron’s 499 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race.
For more information on tickets to Talladega Superspeedway, please visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or call 1-877-Go2-DEGA. For our hearing impaired guests, please call TDD 1-866-ISC-TRAK (1-866-472-8725). Tickets also are available in person by visiting the Talladega Superspeedway Ticket Office from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. CDT, Monday- Friday.
- Host of CNBC’s Hit Reality Series, The Profit, Marcus Lemonis to Serve as CampingWorld.com 500 Grand Marshal/Honorary Starter on Oct. 25
- Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola Colonel Eric F. Buer to Award Traditional Freedom Trophy to Talladega Superspeedway’s CampingWorld.com 500 Winner
- STATEMENT FROM TALLADEGA SUPERSPEEDWAY CHAIRMAN GRANT LYNCH ON SAFETY INITIATIVES
- Multi-Platinum Selling Artist Eric Church, Whose No. 1 Hit “Talladega” is Nominated for CMA Single of the Year, Set to be Honorary Pace Car Driver for Talladega Superspeedway’s CampingWorld.com 500 on Sunday, Oct. 25
- NASCAR Drivers Timothy Peters, Daniel Hemric in Birmingham Area to Talk about upcoming fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola at Talladega Superspeedway, Oct. 24