No Track Comes Close To Matching Talladega Eight Races Into Chase
A fact lost in the furor surrounding the competition during the AMP Energy 500, is that Talladega Superspeedway produced at least 10,000 more green-flag passes than any other Chase track and doubled the next-closest amount of lead changes with 58.
Talladega Superspeedway produced 13,438 green-flag passes during the AMP Energy 500 on Nov. 1. The most competitive race behind that was Lowe’s Motor Speedway, with 3,170 green-flag passes. Auto Club Speedway in California produced 29 lead changes among 9 different drivers, half of Talladega’s 58 lead changes among 25 different drivers. What makes Talladega’s number even more impressive is that the AMP Energy 500 is typically only a 188-lap event, the fewest number of laps among Chase tracks in which a lead change can be recorded.
“I believe it’s important that we keep things in perspective as we look back at the 2009 Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup,” said Talladega Superspeedway President Rick Humphrey. “Talladega has a tradition of some of the best and most competitive racing in NASCAR and once the stats are taken into account, I think tradition was upheld.”
Talladega Superspeedway is already gearing up for the 2010 Aaron’s Dream Weekend featuring qualifying for the NASCAR Nationwide Series, followed by the ARCA Series 250 race on Friday, April 23. On Saturday, April 24, fans will see qualifying for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, followed by the Aaron’s 312 NASCAR Nationwide Series race. On Sunday, April 25, the greatest drivers in the world face off in the Aaron’s 499 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race.
For more information on tickets to Talladega Superspeedway, please visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or call 1-877-Go2-DEGA. For our hearing impaired guests, please call TDD 1-866-ISC-TRAK (1-866-472-8725). Tickets also are available in person by visiting the Talladega Superspeedway Ticket Office from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. CDT, Monday- Friday.
- Advanced Priced Tickets On Sale Friday for Talladega Superspeedway’s Pivotal Oct. 21-23 Weekend, Featuring Two NASCAR Chase Elimination Races
- Earnhardt Jr. Set For Pre-Race Fan Q&A Session Prior To Alabama 500, Sunday, Oct. 23 At Talladega Superspeedway - A Place He Calls Home
- Brad Keselowski Wins GEICO 500 Aspen Dental Weekend at Talladega Superspeedway
- Elliott Sadler Wins Thrilling NASCAR XFINITY Series Sparks Energy 300 During Aspen Dental Weekend at Talladega Superspeedway
- Gus Dean Picks Up First Career Win at Talladega Superspeedway in Wild ARCA Racing Series Presented by Menards General Tire 200