Fans Come From Far and Wide for Fan Appreciation Day
As early as 8 a.m., fans were lining up in front of Talladega Superspeedway to take their vehicles on a lap around the 2.66 mile tri-oval during Fan Appreciation Day. Officials estimate 12,000 fans attended the event. Some came from as far away as Indiana and Florida, but all left with a story to tell.
“This was payback to my dad,” said Mike McAnally from Gulf Shores, Ala. “Dad used to be a sheriff and worked security at the races a long time ago. When I was about 10, dad got to do a track drive like this. I remember when we went into Turn One I got scared and made him stop. When I got my track ride voucher for attending the Aaron’s 499, I called him up and told him he was going to get a chance to drive Talladega again.”
Jack Wilson of Tennyson, Ind. said he and his wife made the drive to Talladega just to take their new Corvette around the track. “I was hoping they would really let me open her up,” said Wilson. “But they had a truck pacing everyone. It was still worth the trip just to experience going around those turns. We had a good time.”
After taking their turn driving around the track, fans enjoyed lunch provided by Talladega Superspeedway, Pepsi and Golden Flake, a Q&A and autograph signing with Richard Brickhouse, Dave Marcis, Sterling Marlin and track president Rick Humphrey and a free concert by Darryl Worley.
In 2009, Talladega Superspeedway proudly celebrates forty years of the most competitive racing in NASCAR. While the track has seen changes made to the cars that circle its high-banks, the surface that they race on and the grandstands that thousands of fans fill twice a year, one constant remains; Talladega Superspeedway is authentic NASCAR racing at its finest.
Race fans should make plans now to experience the AMP Energy 500 weekend, Oct. 30 through Nov. 1. This weekend features the Mountain Dew 250 fueled by Fred’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race and Race Number Seven in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, the AMP Energy 500. For information on attending the HALLOW-DEGA℠ Presented by Captain Morgan festivities, call 1-877-Go2-DEGA or visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com. For our hearing impaired guests, please call TDD 1-866-ISC-TRAK (1-866-472-8725). Tickets also are available in person by visiting the Talladega Superspeedway Ticket Office from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. CDT, Monday- Friday.
- STATEMENT FROM TALLADEGA SUPERSPEEDWAY CHAIRMAN GRANT LYNCH ON SAFETY INITIATIVES
- Multi-Platinum Selling Artist Eric Church, Whose No. 1 Hit “Talladega” is Nominated for CMA Single of the Year, Set to be Honorary Pace Car Driver for Talladega Superspeedway’s CampingWorld.com 500 on Sunday, Oct. 25
- NASCAR Drivers Timothy Peters, Daniel Hemric in Birmingham Area to Talk about upcoming fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola at Talladega Superspeedway, Oct. 24
- New Fanatics NASCAR Trackside Superstore at Talladega Superspeedway To Enhance Fan Retail Experience, Oct. 23-25
- E!’S “THE SOUP” Goes LIVE From Talladega Superspeedway For Special, Hour-Long Episode On Friday, Oct. 23 AT 10:00 PM ET/PT