Fans Come From Far and Wide for Fan Appreciation Day
As early as 8 a.m., fans were lining up in front of Talladega Superspeedway to take their vehicles on a lap around the 2.66 mile tri-oval during Fan Appreciation Day. Officials estimate 12,000 fans attended the event. Some came from as far away as Indiana and Florida, but all left with a story to tell.
“This was payback to my dad,” said Mike McAnally from Gulf Shores, Ala. “Dad used to be a sheriff and worked security at the races a long time ago. When I was about 10, dad got to do a track drive like this. I remember when we went into Turn One I got scared and made him stop. When I got my track ride voucher for attending the Aaron’s 499, I called him up and told him he was going to get a chance to drive Talladega again.”
Jack Wilson of Tennyson, Ind. said he and his wife made the drive to Talladega just to take their new Corvette around the track. “I was hoping they would really let me open her up,” said Wilson. “But they had a truck pacing everyone. It was still worth the trip just to experience going around those turns. We had a good time.”
After taking their turn driving around the track, fans enjoyed lunch provided by Talladega Superspeedway, Pepsi and Golden Flake, a Q&A and autograph signing with Richard Brickhouse, Dave Marcis, Sterling Marlin and track president Rick Humphrey and a free concert by Darryl Worley.
In 2009, Talladega Superspeedway proudly celebrates forty years of the most competitive racing in NASCAR. While the track has seen changes made to the cars that circle its high-banks, the surface that they race on and the grandstands that thousands of fans fill twice a year, one constant remains; Talladega Superspeedway is authentic NASCAR racing at its finest.
Race fans should make plans now to experience the AMP Energy 500 weekend, Oct. 30 through Nov. 1. This weekend features the Mountain Dew 250 fueled by Fred’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race and Race Number Seven in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, the AMP Energy 500. For information on attending the HALLOW-DEGA℠ Presented by Captain Morgan festivities, call 1-877-Go2-DEGA or visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com. For our hearing impaired guests, please call TDD 1-866-ISC-TRAK (1-866-472-8725). Tickets also are available in person by visiting the Talladega Superspeedway Ticket Office from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. CDT, Monday- Friday.
- Joey Logano and Danica Patrick Join Chase Contender Johnson, Along with Biffle, Almirola at Talladega's Pre-Race Question/Answer Session
- Talladega Superspeedway’s Infield Party-The Big One On The Blvd-on Friday, Oct. 17, Back with New Twists
- Greg Biffle Visits Maxwell Air Force Base; Participates in Training Exercises & Educates Airmen on Talladega’s Special Military Offers
- Three Challengers in Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup – Jimmie Johnson, Greg Biffle and Aric Almirola – Set for Talladega Pre-Race Question/Answer Session
- Senior Airman Donald L. Googe, Jr., to Award Prestigious Freedom Trophy to Talladega’s Sprint Cup Winner during GEICO 500 Weekend