Talladega Superspeedway Donates 1,000 Tickets to Town of Samson in Wake of Tragedy
In front of the Samson City Hall today, Talladega Superspeedway President Rick Humphrey presented Mayor Clay King with 1,000 tickets to the April 26 Aaron’s 499 in hopes of providing some relief and excitement to the devastated Geneva County town.
Samson was the site of a horrific mass shooting on March 10 that left 11 people dead and an entire community grieving.
“The tragedy that occurred in Samson on March 10 will unfortunately forever be felt throughout this community and our state,” said Humphrey. “The people of Samson and the surrounding communities are hurting, but I want them to know they aren’t alone in their pain. We are here today to present Mayor King with 1,000 tickets to the Aaron’s 499 at Talladega Superspeedway, in the hopes that this will help raise the spirits of his town and begin the process of moving forward past these tragic events.”
King will first distribute tickets to the victims’ families and public-safety personnel that responded to the shootings. Additional tickets will be held at City Hall for any residents that would like to attend the Aaron’s 499.
“I would like to thank Talladega Superspeedway for this generous donation to the citizens of this community,” said Mayor King. “I am honored to accept these tickets on behalf of the victims’ families, first responders and citizens of Samson.”
Residents that attend the Aaron’s 499 will be seated in a special section along the frontstretch. During pre-race ceremonies the group will be recognized and a moment of silence will be observed for the fallen.
For more information on the April 24-26, Aaron’s Dream Weekend at Talladega Superspeedway, please visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or call 1-877-Go2-DEGA.
- Joey Logano Wins CampingWorld.com 500 for His Third Straight NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Victory
- Eric Church, Blake Shelton, Toby Keith, Kid Rock, Hank Williams, Jr., Billy Currington, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Lee Brice, Martina McBride, Gary Allan, Tyler Farr and Many More at First-Ever Dega Jam Music Festival at Talladega Superspeedway, July 1-3, 2016
- Late Pass Propels Peters to Second Straight NASCAR Camping World Truck Series fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola Win at Talladega
- Jeff Gordon Captures Pole Position for CampingWorld.com 500, His Final Race at Talladega Superspeedway
- Championship Hopes Loom This Weekend at Talladega’s CampingWorld.com 500 & fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola