Talladega Superspeedway Donates 1,000 Tickets to Town of Samson in Wake of Tragedy
In front of the Samson City Hall today, Talladega Superspeedway President Rick Humphrey presented Mayor Clay King with 1,000 tickets to the April 26 Aaron’s 499 in hopes of providing some relief and excitement to the devastated Geneva County town.
Samson was the site of a horrific mass shooting on March 10 that left 11 people dead and an entire community grieving.
“The tragedy that occurred in Samson on March 10 will unfortunately forever be felt throughout this community and our state,” said Humphrey. “The people of Samson and the surrounding communities are hurting, but I want them to know they aren’t alone in their pain. We are here today to present Mayor King with 1,000 tickets to the Aaron’s 499 at Talladega Superspeedway, in the hopes that this will help raise the spirits of his town and begin the process of moving forward past these tragic events.”
King will first distribute tickets to the victims’ families and public-safety personnel that responded to the shootings. Additional tickets will be held at City Hall for any residents that would like to attend the Aaron’s 499.
“I would like to thank Talladega Superspeedway for this generous donation to the citizens of this community,” said Mayor King. “I am honored to accept these tickets on behalf of the victims’ families, first responders and citizens of Samson.”
Residents that attend the Aaron’s 499 will be seated in a special section along the frontstretch. During pre-race ceremonies the group will be recognized and a moment of silence will be observed for the fallen.
For more information on the April 24-26, Aaron’s Dream Weekend at Talladega Superspeedway, please visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or call 1-877-Go2-DEGA.
- Joey Logano and Danica Patrick Join Chase Contender Johnson, Along with Biffle, Almirola at Talladega's Pre-Race Question/Answer Session
- Talladega Superspeedway’s Infield Party-The Big One On The Blvd-on Friday, Oct. 17, Back with New Twists
- Greg Biffle Visits Maxwell Air Force Base; Participates in Training Exercises & Educates Airmen on Talladega’s Special Military Offers
- Three Challengers in Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup – Jimmie Johnson, Greg Biffle and Aric Almirola – Set for Talladega Pre-Race Question/Answer Session
- Senior Airman Donald L. Googe, Jr., to Award Prestigious Freedom Trophy to Talladega’s Sprint Cup Winner during GEICO 500 Weekend