BIR Gone But Not Forgotten
The walls of Birmingham International Raceway may have been torn down weeks ago, but the International Motorsports Hall of Fame and Museum (IMHOF) won’t let the memory of the track fade away quite so easily. The IMHOF has put on permanent display a piece of the start/finish line from the 95-year old track.
“Birmingham International Raceway was one of the tracks that established the identity of the Alabama Gang and was a cornerstone of racing in the south,” said Talladega Superspeedway President and IMHOF Executive Director Rick Humphrey. “We felt it was important to at least salvage a small piece of the track to help keep its memory alive. Birmingham International Raceway may be gone, but it is certainly not forgotten.”
The piece of start/finish line is located in the first display cases visitors see when touring the IMHOF. Plans call for the addition of historical photos and memorabilia from BIR as they are relocated from throughout the IMHOF.
About the International Motorsports Hall of Fame & Museum
Opened in April of 1983, the International Motorsports Hall of Fame and Museum is dedicated to the preservation of the history of motorsports. Each year, the annual International Motorsports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony is held on the grounds of the museum to honor those men and women chosen for induction from among the greatest names in all of motorsports.
The 2009 ceremony will be held April 23rd, at the SPEED Channel Dome, adjacent to the International Motorsports Hall of Fame. Individual tickets for the evening are $125 and a table of eight may be reserved for $1,000. Tickets and tables are available by calling 1-256-362-5002 or logging on to www.racetickets.com.
- “Two for $88” Dale Jr. Ticket Package Back by Popular Demand for Talladega Superspeedway’s GEICO 500, May 3
- ARMY National Guard Preforms Tradition at Talladega Superspeedway with Seven-Mile Foot March
- Celebrity Judges Named for Alabama Wild Game Cook-Off at Talladega Superspeedway This Saturday, February 7
- GEICO 500 Gets the Green Flag on Sunday, May 3
- Get Your Taste Buds Ready! Talladega Superspeedway's 10th Annual AWF Wild Game Cook-Off Set for Saturday, Feb. 7