Talladega Fire & Safety and Infield Care Center Teams Honored by NASCAR
Members of Talladega Superspeedway’s Fire & Safety and Infield Care Center teams were recently honored during the NASCAR Security Summit. Johnny Ponder and Jimmy McKee, both of Talladega Fire & Safety, as well as John Erdman of Daytona International Speedway, were presented with the Innovation Award by the NASCAR Track Services team. Dr. Bobby Lewis and his staff of the Infield Care Center were awarded the Teamwork Award by the NASCAR Medical Liaison team.
Ponder, McKee and Erdman were instrumental in the development of several new techniques designed to aid drivers in the event of an incident, as well as the design and creation of a new rescue tool dubbed “The Fifth Man.”
The Fifth Man pulls back and holds catch-fencing, allowing a member of the Fire & Safety crew quick access to the track. This is particularly beneficial on the high-banks of Talladega Superspeedway and Daytona International Speedway, where crews are stationed behind the catch-fencing on top of the turns.
Dr. Lewis and his staff of the Infield Care Center were honored for their close work and cooperation with the NASCAR Medical Liaison team. The two groups are responsible for seeing all drivers and crew members that require medical review or assistance during a Talladega Superspeedway race weekend
In 2009, Talladega Superspeedway proudly celebrates forty years of the most competitive racing in NASCAR. While the track has seen changes made to the cars that circle its high-banks, the surface that they race on and the grandstands that thousands of fans fill twice a year, one constant remains; Talladega Superspeedway is authentic NASCAR racing at its finest.
Race fans should make plans now to experience part of Talladega’s history in 2009 during the triple-header, Aaron’s Dream Weekend, April 24-26, featuring the ARCA RE/MAX Series, the NASCAR Nationwide Series and the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. For tickets, visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or call 1-877-Go2-DEGA. For our hearing impaired guests, please call TDD 1-866-ISC-TRAK (1-866-472-8725). Tickets also are available in person by visiting the Talladega Superspeedway Ticket Office from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. CDT, Monday- Friday.
- “Two for $88” Dale Jr. Ticket Package Back by Popular Demand at Talladega Superspeedway for Oct. 19 GEICO 500
- Talladega Superspeedway, Birmingham Business Alliance Host “Business of NASCAR” Event; Panelists Include Helton, Childress
- Fans Can Take Personal Car Around Talladega Superspeedway; Part of “Fan Track Drive” to Benefit the American Red Cross July 26
- Talladega Superspeedway Fan Favorite Bill Elliott Among Five Legends Named to Prestigious 2015 NASCAR Hall of Fame Class
- Aaron’s Dream Weekend at Talladega Superspeedway Outcompetes All 2014 NASCAR Weekends