Talladega Fire & Safety and Infield Care Center Teams Honored by NASCAR
Members of Talladega Superspeedway’s Fire & Safety and Infield Care Center teams were recently honored during the NASCAR Security Summit. Johnny Ponder and Jimmy McKee, both of Talladega Fire & Safety, as well as John Erdman of Daytona International Speedway, were presented with the Innovation Award by the NASCAR Track Services team. Dr. Bobby Lewis and his staff of the Infield Care Center were awarded the Teamwork Award by the NASCAR Medical Liaison team.
Ponder, McKee and Erdman were instrumental in the development of several new techniques designed to aid drivers in the event of an incident, as well as the design and creation of a new rescue tool dubbed “The Fifth Man.”
The Fifth Man pulls back and holds catch-fencing, allowing a member of the Fire & Safety crew quick access to the track. This is particularly beneficial on the high-banks of Talladega Superspeedway and Daytona International Speedway, where crews are stationed behind the catch-fencing on top of the turns.
Dr. Lewis and his staff of the Infield Care Center were honored for their close work and cooperation with the NASCAR Medical Liaison team. The two groups are responsible for seeing all drivers and crew members that require medical review or assistance during a Talladega Superspeedway race weekend
In 2009, Talladega Superspeedway proudly celebrates forty years of the most competitive racing in NASCAR. While the track has seen changes made to the cars that circle its high-banks, the surface that they race on and the grandstands that thousands of fans fill twice a year, one constant remains; Talladega Superspeedway is authentic NASCAR racing at its finest.
Race fans should make plans now to experience part of Talladega’s history in 2009 during the triple-header, Aaron’s Dream Weekend, April 24-26, featuring the ARCA RE/MAX Series, the NASCAR Nationwide Series and the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. For tickets, visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or call 1-877-Go2-DEGA. For our hearing impaired guests, please call TDD 1-866-ISC-TRAK (1-866-472-8725). Tickets also are available in person by visiting the Talladega Superspeedway Ticket Office from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. CDT, Monday- Friday.
- Center Stage(s)! Talladega Superspeedway Yet Again in Spotlight of NASCAR as Track Announces Stage Lengths as Part of New 2017 Format Enhancement
- Talladega Superspeedway is Excited to Name Jake Carlisle as New Director of Ticketing
- Talladega Superspeedway Part of International Speedway Corporation’s (ISC) New Multiyear, Multi-Track Digital Media Partnership with Ingenuity Sun Media (ISM)
- The Charlie Daniels Band Set for Talladega Superspeedway’s Traditional Saturday Night Infield Concert, May 6
- Cars Have Officially Hit the Track at Talladega Superspeedway in Anticipation of the Exciting 2017 Season