Joey Logano & Ricky Carmichael Test at Talladega
Two Talladega rookies, Joey Logano and Ricky Carmichael, were at Talladega Superspeedway today as part of a two-day ARCA RE/MAX Series Open Test. While both drivers have extensive racing resumes, neither had tackled the high banks of Talladega until today.
“It’s pretty fun, I’ve had a good time with it so far,” said Logano. “This is my first time doing superspeedway stuff. I did some Proving Grounds stuff with the Cup guys before, but that’s the only similar thing I’ve been through.”
While this was Logano’s first trip around Talladega in a race car, it wasn’t his first time to see the track.
“I came here a long time ago, I think I was 12 or 13, and I was racing around here somewhere. We drove by and got in a van that took us on a tour of the outside of the track and then we came in and looked around. I think it’s kind of cool now to actually get out on the racetrack.”
Carmichael, nicknamed G.O.A.T (Greatest Of All Time) from his days as an AMA motorcycle champion, said he too was excited about the opportunity to perform at Talladega.
“It’s pretty exciting,” said Carmichael. “Everyone was saying ‘oh we’re just doing single car runs this morning’ but it’s new for me. I’m having a good time. The guys at KHI (Kevin Harvick Inc.) are fast. I’m just enjoying it and trying to get as much seat time as I can.”
Although Carmichael has competed at Daytona before, he says the 2.66-mile Talladega seems much larger than the 2.5-mile track in Florida.
“My first thought when I came to Talladega was ‘wow this place is huge’. I couldn’t believe how much bigger it was, and I mean, I thought Daytona was big.”
Both drivers are expected to compete in the Oct. 3rd ARCA RE/MAX Series 250 at Talladega.
Tickets to the entire AMP Energy 500 weekend, including the ARCA RE/MAX Series 250 are available by visiting www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or calling 1-877-Go2-DEGA. For our hearing impaired guests, please call TDD 1-866-ISC-TRAK (1-866-472-8725). Tickets also are available in person by visiting the Talladega Superspeedway Ticket Office from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. CDT, Monday- Friday.
- Get Your Taste Buds Ready! Talladega Superspeedway's 10th Annual AWF Wild Game Cook-Off Set for Saturday, Feb. 7
- Samford University Student Sinks Half-Court Hoops Shot to Win $1,000 Tuition on Behalf of Talladega Superspeedway
- Talladega Superspeedway Ensures Compliance Through IMAGE Partnership
- Talladega Native Robert Weaver, Known as "Ice Cream Man," and the Inaugural Betty Jane France Humanitarian Award Winner, Passes Away
- Winn-Dixie Partners with Talladega Superspeedway and Introduces Race Fans to the Winn-Dixie 300 Set for May 2015