Finalists Announced For International Motorsports Hall of Fame Class of 2009
Twenty-one racing legends have been nominated by a panel of international motorsports journalists, for possible induction to the International Motorsports Hall of Fame (IMHOF) in 2009, officials announced today. The field of nominees was expanded to twenty-one this year over the usual twenty because of a tie in votes. The group will be narrowed to five inductees when the final round of voting begins July 30th.
“This year’s twenty-one finalists represent a wide variety of racing disciplines,” said Talladega Superspeedway President and IMHOF Executive Director Rick Humphrey. “Part of what makes the International Motorsports Hall of Fame so unique, is the fact that ‘behind the scene’ competitors like car designers, engine builders and mechanics have a place to be recognized alongside the drivers and team owners that they helped make successful. The voters have done an excellent job in narrowing the field to twenty-one and I am excited to see who will be inducted with the class of 2009.”
Representing IndyCar in the top-21 are: J.C. Agajanian, Clint Brawner, Pete DePaolo, Ted Horn and Troy Ruttman. From Sprint Cars are: Tommy Hinnershitz and Jan Opperman. Representing NASCAR are: Donnie Allison, Jerry Cook, Carl Kiekhaefer, Bud Moore, Marvin Panch, Raymond Parks, Maurice Petty, Rex White and Lee Roy Yarbrough. From sports cars is Brian Redman. Representing the NHRA is Ronnie Sox. Several nominees careers’ spanned multiple series, including: from NHRA & NASCAR, Raymond Beadle; from AMA & NASCAR, Paul Goldsmith and from AMA & IndyCar, Sam Hanks.
About the International Motorsports Hall of Fame & Museum
Opened in April of 1983, the International Motorsports Hall of Fame and Museum is dedicated to the preservation of the history of motorsports. Each year, the annual International Motorsports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony is held on the grounds of the museum to honor those men and women chosen for induction from among the greatest names in all of motorsports.
The next Induction Ceremony is set for Thursday, April 23,2009, and consists of a reception, banquet and awards ceremony. Individual tickets are $125 or a table of eight may be reserved for $1,000 by calling 1-256-362-5002.
- Local Celebrity Judges Named for 12th Annual Alabama Wild Game Cook-Off at Talladega Superspeedway Saturday, March 4
- Center Stage(s)! Talladega Superspeedway Yet Again in Spotlight of NASCAR as Track Announces Stage Lengths as Part of New 2017 Format Enhancement
- Talladega Superspeedway is Excited to Name Jake Carlisle as New Director of Ticketing
- Talladega Superspeedway Part of International Speedway Corporation’s (ISC) New Multiyear, Multi-Track Digital Media Partnership with Ingenuity Sun Media (ISM)
- The Charlie Daniels Band Set for Talladega Superspeedway’s Traditional Saturday Night Infield Concert, May 6