AMP Energy 500 Win In Junior's Future?
TALLADEGA, Ala. – Dale Earnhardt, Jr.’s victory at Michigan International Speedway yesterday proves his 2008 season is shaping up well, and one can’t help but ponder a possible AMP Energy 500 win at Talladega Superspeedway in October.
“My team worked really, really hard to get good preparation, starting the season and to be consistent all year, and I missed the joy and I missed winning and hopefully we'll have some more before the season is out,” said Earnhardt, Jr. after his win Sunday.
That win could come in October, as Earnhardt, Jr. has had much success at the famous 2.66-mile superspeedway. The Kannapolis, N.C. native is known for dominating NASCAR’s Most Competitive Track and his performance in the Aaron’s 499 earlier this year proves he’s got what it takes for a sixth Talladega win.
Earnhardt, Jr. qualified ninth for his 300th NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start in the Aaron’s 499 and made his way to first by lap 39. He led 11 more times for a total of 46 laps in the 188-lap event and finished 10th. This marked his second top-10 finish at Talladega Superspeedway since his last win in 2004.
Team owner Rick Hendrick is a familiar face in victory lane at Talladega as well, as he leads all owners with 10 wins. Fellow Hendrick teammates Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon scored 4-in-a-row in 2006 and 2007. Gordon is second on the all-time win list with six behind Dale Earnhardt, who won 10 times during his 44 starts at Talladega Superspeedway.
Eleven of the past 14 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races at Talladega Superspeedway were won by a Hendrick Motorsports driver or Earnhardt, Jr. Adding Earnhardt, Sr. to the combo makes 15 of the past 19 won by an Earnhardt or a Hendrick Motorsports driver.
Earnhardt, Jr. is currently third in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings and has a total of seven top-fives and 11 top-10s. He is 84 points behind leader Kyle Busch.
Racing returns to Talladega Superspeedway for the AMP Energy 500 event weekend featuring 1,000 miles of racing at NASCAR’s Most Competitive Track with the ARCA RE/MAX Series 250 on Friday, Oct. 3, the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Mountain Dew 250 on Saturday, Oct. 4 and the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series AMP Energy 500, race number four in the in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, on Sunday, Oct. 5.
Tickets are available at www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or 1-877-Go2-DEGA. For our hearing impaired guests, please call TDD 1-866-ISC-TRAK (1-866-472-8725). Tickets also are available in person by visiting the Talladega Superspeedway Ticket Office from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. CDT, Monday- Friday.
- Joey Logano Wins CampingWorld.com 500 for His Third Straight NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Victory
- Eric Church, Blake Shelton, Toby Keith, Kid Rock, Hank Williams, Jr., Billy Currington, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Lee Brice, Martina McBride, Gary Allan, Tyler Farr and Many More at First-Ever Dega Jam Music Festival at Talladega Superspeedway, July 1-3, 2016
- Late Pass Propels Peters to Second Straight NASCAR Camping World Truck Series fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola Win at Talladega
- Jeff Gordon Captures Pole Position for CampingWorld.com 500, His Final Race at Talladega Superspeedway
- Championship Hopes Loom This Weekend at Talladega’s CampingWorld.com 500 & fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola