ISC Mourns the Passing of Chairman Bill France
ISC CEO Jim France Assumes Role of Chairman
June 4, 2007 - International Speedway Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select Market: ISCA; OTC Bulletin Board: ISCB) ("ISC") announced today that William ("Bill") C. France, 74, ISC's Chairman, passed away this afternoon in Daytona Beach, Florida. Funeral arrangements are pending. Effective immediately, ISC Chief Executive Officer James ("Jim") C. France will assume the role of Chairman.
"For over four decades, Bill stood at the helm of a growing national phenomenon," said Jim France. "He successfully guided the sport into the American mainstream and elevated NASCAR racing to the pinnacle of motorsports. Bill was an extraordinary steward of the sport our father, 'Big' Bill France, founded over 60 years ago, and he led ISC on its tremendous path of success since taking the helm as Chief Executive Officer in 1981.
"Bill led the Company's extraordinary growth during his tenure," France continued. "In addition, he also established a strong foundation for the continued success of the company. He instilled into ISC's culture the insight, vision and leadership necessary for the company to continue building upon his accomplishments well into the future. Our strong management team remains in place, complemented by a fully committed Board of Directors, and we remain intently focused on successfully leading the Company into the future."
"My father will be sorely missed, not only by our family, but by all the lives he touched over his many years in the sport," said ISC President Lesa France Kennedy. "From drivers to owners to other track operators and professionals in the racing world, Bill France served as a champion for motorsports and his legacy is the renowned success that NASCAR and ISC have, and will continue to achieve."
Information for memorial considerations will be forthcoming and made available on www.iscmotorsports.com.
Statement From Talladega Superspeedway President Grant Lynch on the passing of International Speedway Corporation Chairman and NASCAR Vice Chairman Bill France Jr.
"Having had the opportunity to learn how to operate a motorsports facility under the tutelage of Bill France Jr. was certainly one of the most impactful things in my life. His work ethic, wide range of knowledge and attention to detail are things I try to apply in business, as well as everyday life. His passing is a tremendous loss to the NASCAR community, as we have lost not only our leader and a pioneer of the sport, but also our friend. My thoughts and prayers are with the France family as we all go through this time of sorrow and grief."
- Gus Dean Picks Up First Career Win at Talladega Superspeedway in Wild ARCA Racing Series Presented by Menards General Tire 200
- Elliott Sadler Wins Thrilling NASCAR XFINITY Series Sparks Energy 300 During Aspen Dental Weekend at Talladega Superspeedway
- Grant Enfinger Inducted into the IMHOF ARCA Wall of Champions; Calls Shots for Fellow Alabama Native Bret Holmes in General Tire 200 ARCA Event Friday at Talladega Superspeedway
- Fans Representing 17 Countries, 49 States Set to Attend GEICO 500, Sparks Energy 300 and General Tire 200 This Upcoming Weekend at Talladega Superspeedway
- Two-Round Qualifying Format Returns Saturday to Talladega Superspeedway for The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series GEICO 500 & NASCAR XFINITY Series Sparks Energy 300